Thursday, 17 April 2008

Live Client Project Evaluation Essay

The initial research of the project involved researching and watching promotional videos. The two promotional videos which I particularly focussed on were one for the newly opened Tram Network and the other was for the First Generation I-Pod. Whilst both were different in their style and approach to promote the differing products, what did become apparent was that the most important part to both promotional videos were the interviews used. The interviews gave greater depth into the subject and this will be something I will look to focus for my promotional video.
The first part to the initial research of the project was research into the City of Nottingham. This research was of the main sights and attractions within the city of Nottingham, from here, this provided a list of locations and then contact details for each of these locations. I also contacted Nottingham City Council’s Tourist department for advice, this research provided further links, ideas and information for the project.

The official beginning of the project was the first meeting with the client project, the Chief Executive of Nottingham Forest, Mark Arthur. The meeting provided us both with an idea of what was required for the project, how it would be achieved.


The method for filming the video was a long and length process. When each location was filmed, I made sure that a lot of footage was recorded at the location, more than was likely to be needed. This was done to ensure that during the editing process there would be enough footage to edit, ensuring the perfect shots. The process of gaining access to film at each location was the longest process of the entire project, and also was the most hassle. Out of all the locations filmed at, only two locations were agreed upon in a short time period, but the particular locations replying to my contacting of their facilities. The other locations required more precision and tact in gaining a response to the filming requests. Filming at St Pancras International was initially agreed upon with the head of media and marketing, but only one week before filming a different member of staff at the location contacted me demanding the universities public liability insurance. This situation made me realise just how much planning and attention to detail was required when it comes to filming out on location, and even if it appears that filming at the location was agreed upon, those plans can change only days before the proposed shoot.
The editing of the footage took a long time due to the length of the promotional video, but due to extensive pre-production work, this was all allotted within the work schedule. The pre-production process was covered in detail and with precision, so when it came to the filming and editing processes, the workload was already laid out and prepared so all the work could be completed in good time.

One of the editing decisions which took along time deciding upon was how to change from each section of the promotional video, e.g. from Locations to Transportation. Eventually I decided that this would be done using Photoshop to create a photo of the first shot of the next scene, and using a visual effect, then to transition from the photo into the footage. This was done to separate each different section within the promotional video, but also because the editing effects makes the video flow continuously. Music was added to each of these section headings for an aesthetic effect. Originally the music was left out, and whilst the still images looked good, the lack of audio with the pictures felt like something was missing.

Along with the promotional video, I initially decided that a promotional package would have to be created for the project, not just a promotional video. Whilst this did entail an awful lot of work, it was a challenge that I was looking forward to. Deciding what the package would entail was a slightly lengthy process, but eventually I decided upon a DVD which as well as the promotional video would include an interactive menu with the interviews in full, the press release of the new stadium and production photos, along with a DVD label and cover. These decisions were made as I felt each of the features would enhance the promotional package. The main DVD feature I feel is the interviews shown in full, this is because it allows greater inside into what the interviewees thoughts are on the subject, without having to edit them down to fit into a specific time frame.

The DVD cover I am especially proud of as it was created in Photoshop, which is software I am not as fluent in as I would have liked. I decided that Photoshop was the best picture editing software, so it was chosen to create the DVD cover. This did mean that I had to use software which I was uncomfortable with, so I made an effort to put time into using it before I started creating the cover. Ultimately, using Photoshop has enhanced my knowledge and skills of the software hugely, and whilst creating a very professional looking DVD cover, I feel it is more important as a multimedia practitioner that my skills within a major piece of software have been enhanced.


Unfortunately several major problems were encountered with this project. The first problem was with agreeing upon locations and interviews to be undertaken and filmed. For some locations in particular towards the end of the pre-production process, I would be in contact with the location on a daily basis, and unfortunately some locations which were planned to be filmed at could not be filmed due to the lack of response that I was receiving. Fortunately the project was started as early as possible, this did mean that during the pre-production process (whilst some locations response time was very poor) because I had started early that with more pressure enforced for a response from locations and individuals, filming was agreed at locations with enough time to film at the location before editing the project.
Undertaking such a large project could ultimately have been a problem in itself. A smaller scaled project could have been chosen however my interest of this subject and the relevance of the subject to this specific moment in time too, indicated that it was a project that I should undertake. Unfortunately, with two other major modules both producing a mass amount of work at the same time, the time management of each individual module at times became difficult to manage. My attempt to solve this problem was achieved by using my online journal extensively. By continuously keeping the journal up to date, it also worked as a diary which allowed me to manage my time in a more organised manor.

The biggest problem that was encountered was during the most important interview of the entire project, with the client of the project, the chief executive of Nottingham Forest Football Club. The filming equipment was hired from the university, and whilst appearing to be in working order, after filming a very good interview with the client, upon attempting to playback the footage for editing, I noticed that the footage had not recorded properly, and horizontal black lines appeared all throughout the recording, along with the audio being inconsistent. This was the worst thing that could have happened to the project, as it set me back a substantial time stalling the continuation of the project. I was just extremely fortunate that the client agreed to another interview which was rescheduled as his interview was pivotal to the project.
The final problem with the project was that the tutor of the project was un-expectantly unavailable for feedback of the project until four days before the final hand in of the project. Unfortunately due to finding out about this situation at the last minute, this problem could not be solved, and whilst not receiving feedback for the project from the tutor of the project, others have stated how impressed they are with the work, and I am hoping that the feedback received from those unrelated to the project and my own personal opinions show good judgement.


My biggest finding for this project was how intensive the pre-production and production processes were. Being an individual project, yet having to agree filming at several major locations in Nottingham along with East Midlands Airport and St Pancras International as well as interviews and securing footage that could be used within the project required hard work and a lot of time. Whilst not initially realising just how much time was required to produce the project, it has opened my eyes to just how important the pre-production and planning stage of any large project are.

I learnt just how important relevant feedback is to any project. My predicament did mean that I was unable to gain any relevant feedback of the edited work, and without receiving the feedback, it was even more apparent that when is received, it is crucial to take it on board, analyse the feedback and to not be afraid to make changes to the work.

The project confirmed just how important good time management can be to a project. With numerous other projects ongoing at the same time, being able to keep to a strict working schedule is essential to minimise the workload, but maximise the output and standard of the work.


The one consideration which I ultimately decided against was to alter the voiceovers used within the ‘locations’ section of the promotional video. I initially felt that possibly too many statistics and information were used whilst describing each location, however upon evaluating the situation myself, I decided that this was not the case. However, in future projects I will make a special effort to match the voiceover exactly to the images that are to be seen as the same time as the audio will be heard.

With more time available, I would have liked to of conducted more interviews and filmed at some more locations. Unfortunately due to the time frame of this project this was unfeasible this time, however in future it will be something I will look at.
Whilst specifically designed for laptops (as the client of the project stated that the DVD would be watched on laptops) on some televisions when the DVD is watched, the screen size is altered to that when watched on computers and laptops. The picture on some televisions is cropped which shows the promotional video without a certain portion of each side of the picture shown. Whilst this potential problem does not matter due to the hardware that will be used to watch the promotional video, it is a problem that would be better off addressed and resolved.

No comments: